Saturday, 2 January 2016

PATTERN: V-Stitch Mitts



Find this pattern on Ravelry: V-Stitch Mitts

I've been wanting to make a pair of mitts for some time now, but I couldn't find something I really loved. So I decided that despite having never done mitts before, I'd go ahead and make up my own pattern.

I'd seen a lot of v-stitch blankets lately and loved the look and simplicity of it, so decided that would be my main design element. I wanted a traditional cabled cuff. I also had a lot of leftover aran weight yarn in multiple colours, so had a decent stash to choose from. A brand new skein of white, bought for another project but not needed and big enough to do at least mitts and a matching cowl, sealed the deal.

I love them so much. I just finished them this morning and I haven't taken them off yet. I'm still wearing them right now, as I'm sitting here typing this out, and thinking about making a pair in a wonderful purple heather with five soft grey stripes.

Pattern

To make a pair just like mine, you will need about 135 yards of aran / worsted weight yarn, a 5mm hook, and a 4.5mm hook. I used Cascade 220 in white and (from top to bottom) Tibetan rose, aqua, goldenrod, groseille, and highland green.

Stitches / abbreviations:

ch - chain
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
fphdc - front post half double crochet
bphdc - back post half double crochet
dc2tog - double crochet 2 together, leaving 1 stitch of the previous round between the first and second leg of the stitch

Start with white yarn.

Use the 5mm hook for row 1, then switch to the 4.5mm for the remainder of the pattern.

Row 1: ch 30 and join with a slip stitch
Row 2: hdc around (30)
Row 3: [fphdc, bphdc] x 15 (30)
Rows 4-6: as row 3
Join with a slip stitch, break yarn, and weave in ends. Change to highland green.

Row 7: [dc2tog, ch1] around. (The first leg of each dc2tog should go into the same stitch as the second leg of the previous dc2tog.) Join with a slip stitch. Change to white.
Row 8: As row 7. Change to groseille.
Row 9: As row 7. Change to white.
Row 10: As row 7. Change to goldenrod.
Row 11: As row 7. Change to white.
Row 12: As row 7. Change to aqua.
Row 13: As row 7, but when you get to the last dc2tog, ch3 and join with a slip stitch instead. Change to white.
Row 14: As row 7. When working over the ch3 from the previous row (the thumb hole), you should have 2 dc2tog stitches in this space. Change to Tibetan rose.
Row 15: As row 7. Change to white.
Row 16: As row 7.
Row 17: sc around.

Optional thumb hole:

Using white, sc around the opening. You want 12-15 stitches, depending on your thumb size and how tight you like this area to be. Do this for 4 rounds, or until you are happy with the length of the thumb section.


No comments:

Post a Comment