Saturday, 9 January 2016

FO: Conservatory Rose Cushion


Find this project on Ravelry: Conservatory Rose Cushion

Anyone who knows me knows that I love Christmas, so to say that I'm pleased it's over is a rare occurrence, but that's how I feel today: I'm pleased it's over so I can gush about how much I love this pattern.

I was inspired this year to make a gift for my mother-in-law. She has had a new conservatory added to her house this year, and last time we visited I had a wonderful tour of the garden it overlooks, full of juicy tomatoes and flourishing roses. Sitting on the sofa gives you the most beautiful view of roses in bloom.

So I knew that sofa needed a rosey cushion.

I went looking on trusty Ravelry for the perfect pattern, and found Apple Blossom Dreams' Granny Rose Pillow. The roses were wonderfully three-dimensional, the second round looked just like leaves, and squares would give me plenty of options to customise it to fit whatever size cushion pad I had on hand. Perfect!

The roses had to be yellow to match the conservatory, and of course the leaves had to be green. I went for a crisp, elegant white border, so that the cushion could go elsewhere in the house if she preferred.

For the back of the cushion, rather than make more roses that wouldn't see the light of day, I did one big, solid granny square. But shockingly, neither the front nor the back are what I love most about this cushion.

Nope.

I love the zip.

I followed the most fantastic zip tutorial for this one, and I can't recommend it enough. It gives the neatest looking zip I have ever seen, and it's so easy to do.

The page is in Swedish, but Google translates it well, and the pictures are pretty self-explanatory. Check it out!




Look how lovely and neat that is!

No comments:

Post a Comment