Thursday, 24 September 2015

FO: Anna's Wreath


Find this project on Ravelry: Anna's Wreath

Here we are - my first finished object! I'm so pleased with this one. I've wanted to make a wreath ever since I saw them on Lucy's fantastic blog over at attic24, but it took me a while to settle on which idea to do first. (I have at least 8 distinct ideas for Christmas wreaths!) Then I saw this beautiful method for covering the wreath in Crochet Gifts magazine and oh, that border sold me. My first wreath would be a pretty, flowery, girlie one for my daughter's bedroom door.

Covering the wreath was easy enough, and I realised once I'd done it that it would be a really easy method to adapt and add any border you like. The hardest bit is keeping track of all the stitches. I have to admit that I gave up on that quite quickly, but as it turned out, I did the right multiple by accident. Happy coincidence!

The border was simple to add and I think it gives it a beautiful edge. I can't wait to make another and try out something different! I did deviate from the pattern just a little bit here - instead of securing and cutting the yarn when I was done, I chained a few extra stitches and secured them in a loop so I had a built-in hanger.

Once the base and border were done, I had a beautiful blank canvas just waiting to be adorned.

I knew I wanted the wreath to be floral, so I started off by flicking through my new copy of Crochet Bouquet, making whichever flowers looked pretty in Anna's bedroom colours. I made a few leaves from the book, too, before heading over to Ravelry to search out more patterns.


In the end I had a small pile of flora and fauna, as well as a tiny bumble bee!

I had originally thought about adding a butterfly but I couldn't quite get the colours to work, so I allowed some yellow and black to sneak into the colour scheme so that this little guy could add some whimsy to the wreath. I think without him the wreath would look a bit formal, which is lovely, but not what I'm going for here. It is for a toddler's room, after all!


It took a little while to arrange everything, and at this stage I was really thankful that I had a polystyrene wreath under there - it made it really easy to pin things down and move them around until I was happy with it.


I really love all of the flowers - it was so much fun making them. I'm already thinking of more ways to use them - garlands, curtain tie-backs, embellishments for blankets and cushions, brooches, hair ties... watch this space, I'm sure some of them will come to fruition.

Once I had the layout done, I had to decide whether to leave them pinned, or sew them down. I elected to leave them pinned - the wreath is currently out of her reach and the pins are in there really firmly, so I don't foresee any problems. I also really liked how the pretty pearl heads looked in the flowers. It's just a shame I couldn't get them all perfectly centered, but the middles didn't give much support as they're almost all worked in the round.

That's it - all done! Just one job left - putting it up.



Doesn't it look darling? I love how inviting her room looks now!

No comments:

Post a Comment